Friday, December 18, 2009

Different approaches

So, Marco asked how to start a drawing. There are as many different ways to draw as there are people. Some people start with the nose and then draw the eye and work their way out drawing every piece with perfectly clean lines. Some people draw with only perfectly ruler straight lines. Some people draw with little tick marks all over. Some people draw with wild scribbles. I draw with flowy lines and big shapes. The important part for me was first learning the pieces. the hand, foot, eye, mouth, ribcage, etc. then, I'm not trying to figure that part out when I'm drawing. Once you have the parts, you can focus on the whole. I can't really do both at once. So at first just draw slow and figure out the parts. Then you can draw in whatever style you want. There are also a million different ways to think about the parts. That's why I study. I find as many ways to draw a head, or a hand, or a ribcage, and I combine all the ideas until it makes sense for me. I try to make everything as simple for myself as possible, so I can worry about the pose, gesture and shape and something I haven’t talked at all about, the emotion.





6 comments:

  1. thanks man. that really helps me feel better. since i never thought about how i draw this much, i'm all self conscious about doing it correctly....i find myself stiffening up

    ReplyDelete
  2. thx for doing this blog!
    more comics talk would be awesome if you have the time.
    have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is awesome and SOOOOO helpful. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I start from silhouettes and I put the line of action on a side of the figure instead of the center.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I start from silhouettes and I put the line of action on a side of the figure instead of the center.

    ReplyDelete