Tuesday, December 15, 2009

How I draw comics

I start with a thumbnail pass where I just work out the main compositions and acting.


Next I do a rough pass. The most important part is to incorporate your text into the composition. I always put the text in before I start drawing. Make sure you design your text bubbles with enough white space around the letters. I also turn off my rough layer and check the thumbnail to make sure I didn't loose the head tilts and the pose as I draw.


I like to work out all the props and characters as much as I can before I hit the drawing, but I didn't have time to figure out this gun. I'll probably do a finished color drawing of it on another page and then come back and redraw it. After that, I'll go to color, I might make slight modifications to the drawings, or even clean them up a little, but the more I clean them up. the worse they tend to get. For the most part, I'll go straight from this to the color.

3 comments:

  1. fun-tastic! love the roundy shapes.
    this should going to www.artboxforum.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post is really cool! I love seeing the process just as much as I love seeing the finished piece. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. افضل شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة المنزل هى شركة كبرى فى القضاء على جميع انواع الحشرات التى يمكن ان تهاجم منزلك وخاصة حشرة النمل الابيض فنحن لدينا اجود المبيدات المستوردة التى تقضى على الحشرات بالمدينة المنورة وجميع خدماتنا نقدمها بأسعار رخيصة فى متناول الجميع .
    شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالمدينة المنورة
    http://elmnzel.com/pest-control-medina/

    ReplyDelete